February 15, 2020 | IFA Staff
Many of you may remember that a few weeks ago, the Trump Administration made an announcement of sweeping reforms to bring greater religious freedom to many of the departments in the government. The “crown jewel” was a key rule in the Department of Education, upholding the Constitutional right to freedom of prayer and faith within our nation’s public and private schools. This protection was heralded as a “return to prayer in school” by many, who had seen a hostile and unfair denial of these rights for students and teachers in schools for decades. Praise God for this change and the protection of first amendment rights for people of faith! But, as we at IFA discussed the issue, these rights are only valuable if we as people of faith, use them. We abdicated these rights in years past, not pushing back when little by little these freedoms were unlawfully removed in classrooms and hallways. Let’s not make that mistake again. Wherever we have been given freedom, let us use it! Download the rule from the White House and pray into it—Declaring Freedom to Pray in School—click here.
To that end, there are other great religious freedom rules recently made by eight other Government Departments that need your support. Once a rule has been proposed, a public comment period opens so that citizens have a way to share their concerns or approval of the rule. In the past, many rules that protected religious freedom were heavily commented on by leftist activists. It’s time for people of faith to take action and express approval of these new religious freedom protections. We have included the links to the departments where current rules are posted for public comment (not all departments have posted yet). Take a few moments and comment on each one. (It is a government website, so it is not as user-friendly as you may be used to—be persistent.)
- In the upper right hand of the page, press “Comment Now.”
- Write your comment in the large blank space in the middle of the page (up to 5000 characters).
- If your comment is a document longer than 5000 characters or you want to include an attachment, type in the blank space, “I support the Department’s proposed regulations for the reasons given in the attached comment” and upload the longer document or any other attachment below the large blank space.
- Fill in your first and last name. Note that your name will appear on a public webpage.
- Do not check the boxes regarding contact information or a third party, but choose a category.
- Hit “continue” to go to the next page.
- Check the small box indicating that you “have read and understand the statement.”
- Hit “submit comment.”
- Thank you!
Click the buttons below to get started commenting on each of these rules protecting religious freedom!
As other department comment periods are posted, we will alert you to make your comments. Please remember to pray for each department, that religious freedom would continue to be a priority and that Godly values would be extolled in all they do. ‘Therefore be careful to observe them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes, and say, ‘Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.’ (Deut4:6)
If you would like to put a face to a name of the “faith-protector” of each of these departments, download our Special Prayer Guide for the Faith and Opportunity Initiative Representatives. Please pray for each one of them by name.
Share below any feedback you may have received, or comments you have to share.
(Article by Intercessors for America staff member Kris Kubal.)