May 21, 2019 | From Reuters News
President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order this week barring U.S. companies from using telecommunications equipment made by firms posing a national security risk, paving the way for a ban on doing business with China’s Huawei, three U.S. officials familiar with the plan told Reuters.
Editorial Note: This issue is critical and is not getting the media coverage or legislative attention that is warrants. After attending a conference recently with multiple experts on this topic, it is evident that the China issue is more concerning than Russia or North Korea. Please be in prayer about this issue. We applaud President Trump for his action on this issue. IFA hosted Kevin Freeman, founder of Economic War Room and expert in economic warfare, on a First Friday Call about that issue. You can listen to the call here. You will be shocked how far China has gotten in this process with most Americans and elected officials unaware. Click here to watch:
The order, which will not name specific countries or companies, has been under consideration for more than a year but has repeatedly been delayed, the sources said, asking not to be named because the preparations remain confidential. It could be delayed again, they said.
The executive order would invoke the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which gives the president the authority to regulate commerce in response to a national emergency that threatens the United States. The order will direct the Commerce Department, working with other government agencies, to draw up a plan for enforcement, the sources said.
If signed, the executive order would come at a delicate time in relations between China and the United States as the world’s two largest economies ratchet up tariffs in a battle over what U.S. officials call China’s unfair trade practices.
Washington believes equipment made by Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, the world’s third-largest smartphone maker, could be used by the Chinese state to spy. Huawei, which has repeatedly denied the allegations, did not immediately comment….
Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai said last week he was waiting for the Commerce Department to express views on how to “define the list of companies” that would be prohibited under the FCC proposal.
The FCC voted unanimously to deny China Mobile Ltd’s bid to provide U.S. telecommunications services last week and said it was reviewing similar prior approvals held by China Unicom and China Telecom Corp.
The issue has taken on new urgency as U.S. wireless carriers look for partners as they rollout 5G networks.
(Excerpted from Reuters News, article by David Shepardson)