INFORMED PRAYER CONCERNING GUN VIOLENCE IN AMERICA
April 6, 2018 | By Wanda Alger, IFA Field Correspondent
Published by The Heritage Foundation on March 18, 2018, here are eight stubborn facts regarding gun violence in America:
1. Violent crime is down and has been on the decline for decades.
2. The biggest safety concerns with guns are suicides and illegally owned handguns, not mass shootings.
3. A small number of factors significantly increase the likelihood that a person will be a victim of a gun-related homicide.
4. Gun-related murders are carried out by a predictable pool of people.
5. Higher rates of gun ownership are not associated with higher rates of violent crime.
6. There is no clear relationship between strict gun control legislation and homicide or violent crime rates.
7. Legally owned firearms are used for lawful purposes more often than they are used to commit crimes or suicide.
8. Concealed carry permit holders are not the problem, but they may be part of the solution.
According to Proverbs 28:5 and Isaiah 41:10, may those who seek the Lord understand what is right and good. May the Lord grant us increased wisdom in order to deal with any deception and manipulation of facts, and may God’s laws be upheld by the power of His righteous right hand.
According to Proverbs 11:9, we pray that any godless schemes to bring harm or destruction to the innocent would be overturned by the knowledge of the righteous.
According to Proverbs 21:7, may the violence of the wicked drag them away when they refuse to act with justice. May those who fear the Lord rule with righteous intent and hearts of mercy.
According to Isaiah 1:17, may we learn to do right; seek justice; defend the oppressed; take up the cause of the fatherless, and plead the case of the widow.
According to Deuteronomy 16:20, may we follow justice and justice alone, so that our actions and our laws would be rightly aligned to God’s heart and purposes.