July 26, 2019 | Dalton Thomas, Founder of Frontier Alliance International
This illegal immigration/border control controversy is currently blowing up in the face of the American left. It’s going to have significant generational impact on the future political landscape of the US.
Below are five primary unintended consequences of their strategy (in the opinion of a guy living in the Middle East watching the circus from the outside):
- President Trump’s re-election in 2020 will be marked by the strongest Latino vote in American history. In a surprising but not so surprising plot twist, leftist messaging is driving Latinos who came to the US legally away from the left. Imagine immigrating to the US legally from somewhere like Cuba or Venezuela and then hearing a politically motivated puppet arguing for the justification/protection of illegal immigration. It’s profoundly offensive to them. The left needs the Latino vote (legal or illegal); but their approach to the debate is eroding their ability to secure it. They’re handing 2020 to Trump and creating a groundswell of Latino support for conservatism.
- It has exposed the fact that the left is behind the stalled efforts to secure the border, fund humanitarian initiatives, and prevent the atrocities that happen because of an open border and a culture of lawlessness. The left aimed at being the hero of the story and ended up painting themselves as the villains of legal and illegal immigrants as well as the American people. When leftists oppose conservative legislation to secure the border and provide humanitarian aid, it quickly becomes clear that the left doesn’t actually care about the people they’re pretending to cry about.
- It has brought daily attention to the fact that churches, Christians and conservatives are at the tip of the spear of engagement on the ground to provide aid to immigrants, and to create political, humanitarian, and legal solutions to the border crisis. When the left insists that the origin of the crisis is conservative policy in action, they didn’t realize that basic investigation into the assertion would shed light on the reality that the opposite is true.
- Discovery of the guilt of the Obama Administration. Many of the photos that are being used by leftist media to protest President Trump’s attempt to secure the border are actually from the Obama Administration . . . . This has brought unwanted attention to the fact that President Obama was not only passive in his leadership in this area, but compounded the longstanding crisis. Average Americans are putting two and two together that the people who are shouting the loudest had no problems with it under the previous Administration. That display of hypocrisy is gutting the left of what little integrity they have left.
- The discovery of the insanity of a political platform that pushes for open borders and lawlessness. The more attention that’s drummed up for an open border, the more the American public struggles to see the benefits of it for anyone on all sides of the conflict. The more people look at the issue the more they realize that open borders create a dangerous landscape for everyone. The failure of the leftist messaging system lies in the fact that by calling for open borders and lawlessness, they’re demonstrating *on the ground* that the most humanitarian, empathetic, just, and compassionate move would be to secure the border (thus strengthening the messaging of their political enemies).
Combined, this is a disastrous cocktail for the American left that is leading to a form of political suicide for the progressive movement.
- Shared from a Facebook post (7/14/19) by Dalton Thomas, Founder Frontier Alliance International